Thursday, July 2, 2009

Canon EOS 1Ds Camera

For anyone seeking something new when they pick up the 1Ds, don't be fooled by the looks alone. You could quickly be deceived into thinking that nothing has changed from the Canon EOS 1D to EOS 1Ds. The outer body (except for the logo) is virtually the same. It also seems to have the same weight and exterior design. You've got to hold the viewfinder up to your eyes to realize that the world comes in a full frame size and now Canon has finally delivered the tool you need to capture it.

I have to say that when the camera arrived I was excited. My anticipation was high and I had great expectations. The main thing I wanted to see was how well this camera would perform in the field. Canon claims that this camera is the answer to what "Professionals have been asking for." It boasts the 11.1 million pixels, and the full-frame CMOS sensor. But, what does that really boil down to, and is it worth the $8000.00 price tag?

I decided the only way to find out was to take this baby out for a spin. I trudged over to Death Valley to put the 1Ds to the ultimate test. Could it capture the vast landscapes and almost limitless skyline? Could it survive hiking up and down the sand dunes? Could I carry it around my neck for hours as I climbed through the badlands and artists canyon? Most importantly, would the results I see in the field, mirror what showed up on my monitor and ultimately onto my large size prints.

I've been a Canon digital shooter for quite some time and have extensively used the Canon D30, D60, and 1D. Although I also own a 1V film camera, and have played around with medium format, my experience with film is somewhat limited. Therefore, for the purpose of this review, I decided not to directly compare the new 1Ds digital body to MF (medium format) or 35mm film. Instead, I will give you my impressions as a professional digital photographer that revels in shooting landscape images, write about my field experience and then compare the 1Ds to the 1D.

I think it's best to leave most of the technical aspects to Canon to describe. I figured since they are the designers and experts they'll probably do a better job at breaking down the specifications in detail. In the meantime, there are just a few main differences between the 1D and 1Ds that I would like to point out.

There are three main features that are virtually identical between the two bodies when comparing the 1D and 1Ds side-by-side: Exposure and color, Flash Control, and Camera body.

* Exposure and color: Including exposure metering (21-zone Evaluative), Auto-bracketing options, Set white balance in K and color space (sRGB and AdobeRGB)
* Flash control: Including Compatibility TTL flashes, Wireless TTL possible, PC socket, and Manual flash metering
* Camera body: Including viewfinder (100 percent accurate), Focus screens (Interchangeable), Custom functions, AF system, Body material (Magnesium alloy), weather resistance (extensive gasketing), dimensions (6.1 x 6.2 x 3.1 in), and weight (44.1 oz)

The Canon EOS 1Ds Review is surely the best Camera from Canon's mill so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment